Clipboard (was Re: [Gimp-developer] Screenshot plug-in status)

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 06:49:42PM +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:
> I only ask that you take a moment and consider if there might be a way to
> make things faster for the user which is where speed really counts.
> Could some of the handling of the system clipboard be done automatically
> and only when needed to mitigate the speed tradeoff?  If is impractical
> fair enough, I was just asking because the code was being changed anyway.

It should work that way but I haven't been able to build The GIMP to check
for ages now.

To be completely clear: Edit/Cut, Copy and Paste _ought_ to transparently
work between applications. The image-related KDE apps get this right and
when GIMP 1.3.x devel code is once again up and running on this system
I will ensure that it works properly in the GIMP too.

You are quite right that none of this costs _any_ significant resources
until it's actually used to do what the _user_ wants. Which means it
is unquestionably the Right Thing.

Nick.