Re: [Gimp-developer] WikiWordOfTheDay

From: Øyvind Kolås <pippin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Gimp Developer <gimp-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] WikiWordOfTheDay
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 12:43:44 +0200

* Roman Joost <romanjoost@xxxxxx> [030909 10:51]:
> On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 11:52:10AM +0200, David Neary wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I had a few ideas about collaborative content creation for the
> > website and the documentation project recently, and thanks to
> > Carol's forethought, we have the means to do this at our
> > fingertips.
>
> [..]
>
> > So there's the idea. To work, it'll need the cooperation of the
> > documentation team, the web team and the user and developer
> > communities.
> pieces. Unfortunatly, we have some problems for new users and
> contributors to getting involved for writing docs:
>
>   1. Learn how to contribute (what is easier to lern: writing XML docs
>   or learn the wiki syntax)
>
>   2. If we have some docs on a wiki page, how is it possible to convert
>   them to XML? Maybe it costs more time to convert the wiki docs, than a
>   new contributor will lern XML ...

Depending on which wiki is installed,.. changing it to use a more
XML-like syntax (xhtml),.. and using more correct identifiers for the
documentation items shouldn't be too much work.

Parts of xhtml can be mapped to DocBook, but not all (I'm not that
familiar with it)

i forgot to send this to the list last time, anyone tried it? Wiki2DocBookXML http://freshmeat.net/projects/wt2db/

Phil.

/Øyvind K.
--
  .^.
  /V\    Øyvind Kolås,  Gjøvik University College, Norway