[Gimp-developer] Re: [CinePaint-dev] GIMP/CinePaint file incompatibility

Sven,

Hi. Thanks for writing.

This is your first post to our list cinepaint-developers, and people here
may wonder who you are and why you are introducing yourself by making
demands. You haven't identified your role in GIMP and aren't mentioned in
the authors list on gimp.org (http://gimp.org/the_gimp_about.html). Just so
everyone knows, the GIMP has a different management style than CinePaint and
doesn't identify its team -- except for Yosh, the GIMP release manager. Sven
is perceived as the project manager of GIMP.

You are right that our gbr brushes are different from GIMP's. Although I
appreciate you considering it, they can't be made fully compatible with GIMP
because of bit depth. The best you could do would be to crush down to 8-bit
when opening our 16-bit brushes.

The situation is worse than you think. Not only has the brush format been
modified, the XCF format has been broken, too. Again, for higher bit depths
than GIMP supports. Our users are surprised that they can't read 8-bit GIMP
XCF files even though XCF is listed as our native format. While researching
how to make our files more compatible with GIMP, I found your for-the-record
statement that GIMP XCF is deliberately undocumented:

http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gimp-developer/2003-February/008106.html

I agree with you that our file formats are a mess, but none of this happened
on my watch. I can't answer your question who made the change to the brush
format because it predates my participation. A person who may know is Yosh,
the GIMP release manager. In any case, it seems clear that the person who
made the change would have been one of the original GIMP developers who
worked on Film Gimp. I'm unaware of any implementation docs on what they
did. By the way, where would I find your docs for the GIMP gbr format?

You are probably unaware that we have already done a quite bit of work
eliminating file collisions with GIMP. Because the original plan for the
Film Gimp branch was for it to be GIMP, the original developers didn't
anticipate any name change.

The plan is for CinePaint to move away from this undocumented and
incompatible XCF format we inherited -- and can't properly support -- to a
new XML-ish file format that will be called CPX. I am still designing that,
but have already documented the basic format. It should replace gbr too.

Cheers,

Robin
Robin.Rowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   Hollywood, California
www.CinePaint.org   Free motion picture and still image editing software