Re: [Gimp-developer] A fresh pair of eyes.

Phil Harper wrote:
>From: Alan Horkan <horkana@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >Follow standards, even defacto standards unless there is a damned good
> >reason to do otherwise.
>
> make every window manager and desktop just like windows, and every graphics
> app just like photoshop, every vector app just like illustrator...

Not "like", but "act like", unless something
windows/PS/Illustrator dies is dumb. And if you were to be
honest, you'd be hard pushed to call any
photoshop/windows/illustrator keysettings dumb. Sure, lots of
other things are dumb, but then lots of things aren't, and are
worth copying.

And if there's no cost to changing keybindings to resemble the
market leader app, why not?

> i still don't understand why the keybindings would need to fall inline with
> P$  simply to make the sofware apeal to a wider audience,

The point, as I see it, is that there's no reason *not* to follow
the leader when it comes to keybindings - it makes migration
easier for people used to the other app, and makes your app more
attractive as an alternative, without removing any functionality,
or necessarily making things harder for experienced users. So if
it costs nothing (or very little), why not?

> anyway, this is very much a ranty and emotive issue, but probably not an
> important one, they've changed, we must just accept that i guess.

IMHO, usability issues are about the 3rd biggest problem facing
the gimp at the moment.

Dave.

--
       David Neary,