Re: [Gimp-developer] GimpCon RFC: Portable XCF

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 10:53:14PM -0400, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> At 6:51 PM -0700 8/13/03, Manish Singh wrote:
> >Does TIFF support, for example, float16 data, or a CIE XYZ colorspace?
>
> 	Yes to both...

Hmm, got a reference to that? It wasn't immediately apparent in my reading
of the spec.

> >I'm somewhat concerned with going with an externally standardized format,
> >then running into a wall with it at some later point, and not being able
> >to add a feature without breaking standards compliance.
> >

> 	Worse case is that we add new tags (that we've registered
> with Adobe) and other readers don't support that information...

What's the turnaround time for that? Taking weeks or months isn't really
acceptable...

Another thing I'm worried about is simply adding to the confusion of
"what is a tiff file". There are few tiff readers/writers that support
the entire feature set of tiff, and many broken implementations out there.
There's an advantage of starting from a clean slate, and not having to
worry about existing baggage.

-Yosh