Re: [Gimp-developer] the user installer

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 11:23:57AM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:
> The information about the files that are installed in the user
> directory is about the most important part of this dialog. The
> installation log may be unneeded in case of success but I don't think
> we should just drop a number of files in the user directory. Unlike
> the GNOME developers we don't expect our users to be stupid. We put a
> lot of effort into writing user-editable configuration files. We try
> to document what the user can do with her personal gimp directory. The
> user installation dialog is an important part of this. It shows the
> user that there are files to manipulate, directories to add to, things
> to look at it. Hiding this information would not improve anything.

What about "Welcome to the GIMP! Configuration files has been installed
into [wherever they were put]. You may want to take a look there; there
are plenty of possibilities for configuration." (or something along those
lines).

I agree that the first-time installation should be shortened -- most users
simply don't need an exact DPI setting for their screen, and having to go out
searching for CDs or whatever is perceived as annoying. :-)

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/