Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: Kudos to The GIMP Developers!

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 07:14:43PM +0200, Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero wrote:

> > I'd just like to say: Well done. I managed to create a A1 poster at 600
> > dpi - a whopping 1.1 Gig of picture data (about 20000x14000 pixels).
>
> Was there a real difference between 600 DPI and 300 DPI? I have a mag
> here that is done in 300-400 DPI, with good paper... and it looks
> nice, and it is something you look nearer than a wall poster.

Well, the printing guys told me "600 dpi" and I wanted every detail I
could get from that Julia set - I think every missed detail is a loss
for such a nice picture. And it looks like the printer managed to get
all that detail onto the poster (though I'm not sure what it's physical
resolution is).

> > BTW: Is it possible that there is a 3 Gig limit on per-process memory?
> > The machine has 6 GB, no ulimits and I got a "could not allocate x
> > bytes" message when I gave 3 Gig tile cache to GIMP (it took about 500
> > Meg for other stuff, so I settled with 2.5 GB tile cache and still got a
> > 3 Gig swap file plus 3 Gig memory usage).
>
> What kind of processor and OS was used?

It was a dual Xeon 2.4GHz machine running Linux. I already guessed that
it would be the Highmem stuff limiting the available address space.

Bye, Tino.

--
             * LINUX - Where do you want to be tomorrow? *
                  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/linux/tag/