Re: [Gimp-developer] WikiWordOfTheDay

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 11:52:10AM +0200, David Neary wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I had a few ideas about collaborative content creation for the
> website and the documentation project recently, and thanks to
> Carol's forethought, we have the means to do this at our
> fingertips.

[..]

> So there's the idea. To work, it'll need the cooperation of the
> documentation team, the web team and the user and developer
> communities.

Since i used a wiki to collaborate content i love them. The advantage of
a wiki is,  that maybe everyone can contribute to the docs in "small"
pieces. Unfortunatly, we have some problems for new users and
contributors to getting involved for writing docs:

  1. Learn how to contribute (what is easier to lern: writing XML docs
  or learn the wiki syntax)

  2. If we have some docs on a wiki page, how is it possible to convert
  them to XML? Maybe it costs more time to convert the wiki docs, than a
  new contributor will lern XML ...

  3. How can we add existing docs to the WIKI?

  4. How about translations? The user must be able to write a
  translation of a given wiki page, in my opinion.

So, in facing this problems i thought, that it'll be better to do the
following:

  1. Make the project page of the user manual as a wiki page.

  2. Let contributors add docs. I think it isn't a problem of getting
  contributors, which are writing docs. The problem might be, that most
  poeple write some pieces and no one checks that. For that problem, i
  think it isn't necessary to move the hole gimp-help-2 project to the wiki.
  I think, it'll be better to take some good pieces for the gimp-help-2
  from the WIKI and include them into the existing docs.

To summarize that, i think a wiki page will be good to stay connected
with the current documentation (its great to post news and some short
introductions, discuss new things etc.).

But i dislike a wiki, to fetch docs for the gimp-help-2. I think, its
an additional expenditure to the existing project.

Greetings,
--
Roman Joost
www: http://www.romanofski.de