Re: [Gimp-developer] Second try

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

> hmm...Agreeded.
>
> I'd suggest 10 days instead of 5 (if I, for an example, am on a heavy
> workload week, 5 days could not be enough to make my points, if they
> need soem expermenting on the codebase), But since the decision was
> taken, so mote it be - it's not gonna hurt.

I would say that contentous issues that cannot be settled by consensus and
cannot be decided by technical merit should be put up to a vote of the
foundation members.

Things that can be decided on technical merit should be decided by a
bake-off, of course.

Well, should the bake-off not show a clear winner, I guess a vote would be
necessary.

> As for the foundation., I'd be happy if it was in Europe. USA is
> getting more and more of those stuppid laws, including states passing
> "super-DMCAs¨ , that if enforced would stop the Internet alltogether.

That would be best.  We might need to set up a shadow organization in the
US, but let's leave that up to the lawyers.

> The foundation has to care off one other thing I did not see on the
> summary: most, or all of the codebase must be owned by it. It would
> legally allow small adjusts in the license, like the recently one
> that clarified that there could be proprietary plug-ins for the GIMP.
> (Strictly in terms of the GPL, as currently the copyright holder is
> each individual author, there would be the need to have express
> permission from each author for this change). Also, there is the GNU
> motive - if the need arises to defend GIMP's IP in court, it is
> easier if the foundation is the owner, and not a lot of people spread
> over the world.

Exactly.  Really, we haven't been dotting our i's and crossing our t's
with regards to licensing.  We should clean everything up just in case we
get SCO'ed sometime.

> Off course there must be foolproof safeguards to keep the foundation
> from doing non-wanted things to the codebase. So, that GIMP should be
> free software should be specified in the "reason of being"of such a
> foundation.

Personally, I would be wary of signing away my rights to the GIMP
foundation, especially if my continued membership was not assured.
Instead, I propose that some sort of power of attorney be assigned,
instead of transfering all rights.

Rockwalrus