Re: [Gimp-developer] GimpCon RFC: Portable XCF

Phil Harper wrote:

From: Leonard Rosenthol <leonardr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Nathan Carl Summers <rock@xxxxxxxx>
CC: The Gimp Developers' list <gimp-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] GimpCon RFC: Portable XCF
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:40:51 -0400

At 8:45 AM -0700 8/12/03, Nathan Carl Summers wrote:

A layered TIFF by that name wouldn't cut it, because most tiff readers don't support layered images.

Sure they do! Well, at least for any program that supports multiple layers/pages to begin with. And this goes to the question above...

can you post a multilayer TIFF somewhere for me to try out, i've never encountered one before, and it would be interesting to see how it's handled.

If my application doesn't support a particular feature of XCF, am I not compliant? Should I not bother doing XCF?

it'd be nice if your app could read and render a flat version of the image if you don't support layers i supose, this is an interesting one since all these different target apps will handle things like layermodes differently, and some wouldn't even be supported.

Of course, we could always use TIFF internally but call it XCF.

    We could do that.

Adobe does that with .ai, which is really .pdf...

i thought it was a kind of encapsulated post script

What about mng? It contains png and has layers and comments. Seems to be basically unmaintained. I suggested it at another not so important software project and the idea went over real big!! I would like to know the GAP authors idea about mng, actually.

carol