Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: GimpCon RFC: Portable XCF

Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero wrote:
rock@xxxxxxxx (2003-08-08 at 1801.54 -0700):

7 able to support many color depth and spaces
PNG certainly supports 1,2,6,7,9,10, and 11.  Let us examine the other

IIRC (did I read the spec wrongly maybe?) the upper limit is RGBA with
16 bit per channel, no arbitrary color spaces or data formats. You
would have to use gray PNGs to assemble other color spaces... and
never want 32 int or floats, or use a similar trick than with colour
spaces, split data. I think PNG does not fit 7 without tricks.

Another data point is that floats are just a bastard to serialise in a portable, precise manner. Personally I'd represent a 32-bit float with a 32-bit integer and 32-bit fixed-point fractional part. Redundant but complete-ish. (Practical better ideas welcomed.)

--Adam
--
Adam D. Moss   . ,,^^   adam@xxxxxxxx   http://www.foxbox.org/   co:3
'Fox News and all the other right-wing pundits thrive by assuring