Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP GBR format spec

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 08:27:12PM -0400, Robert L Krawitz wrote:

>    - to be able to execute some Java code out of a (virus-altered) GIMP
>      image (Gimp Graphics Archive) takes:
>      * a person running "java -jar picture.gga"
>      * some "smart" program looking inside the image, recognizing the
>        manifest etc (which makes the JAR "executable"), running this
>        (probably requirng user interaction)
>      * a Java machine
>
> Not necessarily.  If the appropriate MIME type isn't set up for .gga
> files, a browser might helpfully run "file" on the file, identify it
> as a JAR, and run java on it.  That requires a spot of
> misconfiguration (or social engineering), but it's a bad idea to
> assume that other things are configured correctly.

So you are basically saying: Do not use ZIP files for anything but Java
stuff. Your argument holds for any ZIP file. It might get executed
somewhere. But I think this is purely academical and has nothing to do
with the GIMP file format.

>    But a hierarchical structure would be cool too. What about mapping
>    big parts of the file format to the file system? This way, a lot of
>    information can be stored in the hierarchy and it wouldn't be a big
>    difference whether to read a file from file system or from archive.
>
> What properties are you assuming in the filesystem?

Probably too many. I imagined something like
Image_name/
  image.xml (meta-data)
  comment.txt
  Layers/
    Layer1/
      Layer1/
        layer.xml (opacity, mode etc.)
        comment.txt
        data.png
      Layer2/
        layer.xml
        comment.txt
        data.png
      Layer3/
        Layer1/
        Layer2/
    Layer2/
      Layer1/
        layer.xml
        data.png
  Paths/
    path1.xml
    path2.xml

But there are probably lots of issues with this design.

Bye, Tino.

--
             * LINUX - Where do you want to be tomorrow? *
                  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/linux/tag/