Re: [Gimp-developer] Macro Recorder 2nd Try

Hi,

Nathan Carl Summers <rock@xxxxxxxx> writes:

>> In short the approach (more info in bugzilla) :
>> - Intercept every PDB call if a macro recorder instance is running.
>
> The cvs version of Libpdb already provides a flexible mechanism for
> intercepting pdb calls.  I designed it with macro recording in mind.

When I read this mail, an idea came to my mind that I hadn't thought
of before. I'm bringing it up here for discussion:

Is the PDB really the right place for a macro recorder? As a user I
would expect it to be tightly coupled with the Undo system. I would
want to be able to go back five steps and change the brush I used for
that paint-stroke, then replay the actions I had performed so far.

But perhaps this just means that the Undo system needs to be hooked
into the PDB as well ?!  It could however also mean that macro
recording would better be implemented in the Undo system. This would
also avoid the mentioned problem with PDB functions called from
plug-ins.

Sven