From: tom poe <tompoe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Carol Spears <cspears@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Re: opensource images of food vegies fruits etc
Date: 21 Apr 2003 12:53:47 -0700

Hi, Carol:  It's actually pretty exciting from where I sit.

If you have lawyers from Stanford, Harvard and Berkeley combining their
efforts to come up with registration online, free, and with tagging for
browsers, it sets the stage for really big things ahead.

For example, there's a push on for experimenting with 2-tiered product
offerings.  Companies put out free stuff, and the deluxe models are able
to be purchased, right?  So, then you add community-based projects, like
Open Studios.  Now, it becomes possible over time, to be able to use the
creativecommons.org registration and tagging, and search for items
there, before running out and purchasing from branded corporate stuff.

When you register your works with the Creative Commons Project, in
effect, you're setting up for licensing forever.  Remember the copyright
fiasco with CTEA?  Well, this is the ultimate wish for corporate giants,
only they can't see it as they are determined to stuff the Digital Age
business models back in the toothpaste tube.  It's called longer
exclusivity, lower profits, rather than bigger and bigger profits.

Hope you do both the free software and creative commons registration.
Extra work, but no reason not to.  You can discuss it with the attorneys
at creative commons as well.
Thanks,
Tom