[Gimp-developer] Grabbing mouse events from the Gimp

Hi,
I asked this question previously on the gimp-user
mailing list, and it was suggested I might have more
luck here....

I'm developing a line-tracing application using
Gimp and some custom plugins as the basis of the
package. What I'd really like to be able to do is use
the Gimp interface as well, so that (preferably) an
appliaction external to gimp will be able to capture
mouse events ('draw line', 'fill at x, y' etc) from
Gimp and use them for processing.
Is there a simple way to achieve this? I don't have
enough time to rewrite parts of the Gimp app itself,
and I'm really looking for a simple way.
Perhaps it might have to be done from a plug-in,
but that's starting to get convuluted, and the user
needs to be able to use most of the Gimp operations as
normal while this is going on... Am I asking too much
in either of these cases?

Apologies if I've overlooked anything obvious... time
was kind of short. :-/

- Michael Strorm

Yahoo! Plus
For a better Internet experience