Re: [Gimp-developer] blizzards, mononucleosis, and tool plug-in TODO items

On 30 Mar 2003, Sven Neumann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Nathan Carl Summers <rock@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> What needs to be done for the next release is a major cleanup of the
> tools.

I agree.

> Part of this cleanup should be a proper documentation on how to
> write a GIMP tool.

Providing source for a sample tool was supposed to be on the list I sent.
I don't know why I didn't remember to put it on last thing.

> I believe that it doesn't make sense to even think about pluggable tools
> before this has happened.

While we should have a good specification of the "tool api," not thinking
about plugging issues would be counterproductive.  Many of the existing
issues are related to the nonextensiblity of the current api.

> I'd rather start the tool cleanup by moving GimpToolControl back into
> the core

I think that we should get the advice of the win32 developers because of
the braindead behaviour of winbloat's dynamic linker before we move
anything.  Note that tool plugins will need to make calls to
GimpToolModule code and GimpToolControl code and who knows what else.

> and I'd like to remove the cheesey hacks that were added all over the
> place.

Which "cheesey hacks" are you refering to?

Rockwalrus