Re: [Gimp-developer] [Q] Future of Gimp

Daniel Carrera (dcarrera@xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > > 3) How hard will it be to port current script-language bindings to
> > >    the new Gimp?
> >
> > I think that the basic infrastructure for calling PDB-Functions
> > basically is the same as in earlier Gimp Versions. Some PDB-Functions
> > have been renamed so you might need to fiddle a bit.
>
> What is a PDB function?  Is that what people use to make bindings?

Yes, and to write plugins etc - except that some plugin-authors are
probably not aware of that fact. Gimp maintains a Procedural DataBase
with various functions. Libgimp has some functions to access this
Databasea (search, execute) plus a lot of wrappers around this
functions. Basically for a language binding you have to use these
pdb-access functions to map the pdb functions into the target language.

http://developer.gimp.org/api/1.3/libgimp/libgimp-gimpproceduraldb.html

> > >    Where can I learn more about making such bindings?
> >
> > Look at the existing bindings and the libgimp documentation.
>
> The reason why I ask is that I can't find the documentation.
> Could you plese tell me where the documentation is?

The libgimp documentation gets build when you compile the Gimp from CVS
- not sure about the tarballs. A more or less current version is
available at http://developer.gimp.org.

> > I am not really familiar with FilmGimp's Frame Manager, so I am not
> > really sure what stuff would be necessary to do. However, Gimp
> > Plugins/Extensions can do a lot and I think there is a chance to do
> > this that way.
>
> The main thing is that it can step through images.
> When you click on a different image it doesn't open a new window with the
> image, rather it replaces the image in the already-open window by the one
> you selected.  In this way, you can step through a sequence of images.
>
> Is there a libgimp function that would let me change the image in a window
> that is already open?

I think gimp-displays-reconnect is what you are looking for.

Bye,
        Simon
--
      Simon.Budig@xxxxxxxxxxx       http://www.home.unix-ag.org/simon/