Re: [Gimp-developer] caching considerations in gegl

On Fri, 2003-03-21 at 10:23, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jakub Steiner <jimmac@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > As it turns out 1.3 is in fact able to create a layer mask from the
> > alpha channel and then discarding the alpha channel by using alpha
> > treshold. So it _is_ possible to 'transfer' the channel to the mask ATM.
>
> do you think we should add a simpler way to discard the alpha channel?
> Perhaps in the layers right-click menu? Alpha Threhold is rather
> well-hidden.

I tend to agree. We do have a 'desaturate' function even though there is
a 'hue and satuartion' filter, simply because it is very common to get
rid of all saturation. So it may make sense to have a 'discard alpha
channel' filter.

I'm also wondering when does one need a copy of an alpha channel on the
mask while keeping the channel intact? Maybe the 'create alpha mask from
alpha channel' should discard the alpha channel afterwards
automatically. Or is there a sensible situation where this wouldn't be
apropriate?

Also if one was to 'merge' alpha channel with an existing mask, it would
simply be a matter of applying the mask first (merging the two onto the
alpha channel) and then creating a mask from the alpha channel again.

Related to this - playing around with alpha treshold, I find myself
puzzled about its behaviour. Sometimes it would become inactive even
though I made sure I'm trying to use it on a layer with alpha channel.
The fact that it becomes available on a duplicate of the image makes me
feel it is in fact a bug?

cheers

--
Jakub Steiner <jimmac@xxxxxxxxxx>