Re: [Gimp-developer] caching considerations in gegl

On 21 Mar 2003 10:23:23 +0100, Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jakub Steiner <jimmac@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > As it turns out 1.3 is in fact able to create a layer mask from the
> > alpha channel and then discarding the alpha channel by using alpha
> > treshold. So it _is_ possible to 'transfer' the channel to the mask ATM.
>
> do you think we should add a simpler way to discard the alpha channel?
> Perhaps in the layers right-click menu? Alpha Threhold is rather
> well-hidden.

I think that "discarding the alpha channel" is not the appropriate way
to describe this operation.  After using Threshold Alpha, you still have
an alpha channel with transparent and non-transparent parts (all fully
transparent parts are still transparent after thresholding).

So the thresholding step is useful for partially transparent pixels, but
it does not "discard" the alpha channel.  I cannot think of a better
name than "Threshold Alpha" for this operation.  Maybe it could be
integrated into the "Add Layer Mask" dialog?

-Raphaël