Re: [Gimp-developer] XCF file format

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 06:17:48PM +0100, Jean-Yves Lamoureux wrote:

> >>I begun an XCF loader (for a later use in mplayer), but I lack clear
> >>docs, as source code is a bit rusty to read like that :)

> >Why would a movie player like mplayer want to use a file format which
> >is considered to be used-by-The-GIMP-only?

> easily converting a xcf "animation" file to anything readable by mplayer
> (using mencoder).

There is no such thing as an xcf animation file... If you're talking
about that animation support involving multiple files, you can simply
batch convert them to PNG using <Image>/<Video>/<Frames Convert> and
then probably encode them to anything you want.

> And apart from that, writing a sort of libxcf , for my personnal and
> anyone_who_want use.

The problem is: xcf depends on the GIMP internals heavily. You'd need to
reinvent or fork lots of GIMP code to get really useful XCF support. I
would not want to do that. BTW: There was some effort to add XCF support
to ImageMagick a while ago (probably Sven meant that thread).

You might be better off writing a Perl-Fu to do the job.

Bye, Tino.

--
             * LINUX - Where do you want to be tomorrow? *
                  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/linux/tag/