[Gimp-developer] Re: gimp-1.2.4-tml-20030115-src.zip

(Again CC:ing to gimpwin-dev and gimp-developer. In general discussion
like this should be on gimpwin-dev, and in the future, if gimpwin-dev
is decommissioned, on gimp-developer.)

Dominik Stadler writes:

 > if I can get this to compile successfully I will put up a webpage
 > that describes how to build GIMP on Windows using MinGW, so this
 > might easy some of the load on you.

Good...

 > When I run automake from cygwin, I get lines with
 >
 > @AMDEP_TRUE@DEP_FILES = ./$(DEPDIR)/gimp.Plo \
 > @AMDEP_TRUE@	./$(DEPDIR)/gimpbrushes_pdb.Plo \

 > in the generated Makefiles. The items with @ produce errors
 > during running make.

I don't know exactly what causes this, but hopefully it goes away if
you make sure you use automake 1.4(-p6). Unfortunately Cygwin (last
time I looked) didn't provide an "automake-1.4" command but instead
they have a wrapper script "automake" that runs either automake 1.7 or
automake 1.4 (from /usr/autotool/devel/bin or
/usr/autotool/stable/bin, respectively) depending on what version it
thinks configure.in wants. As it says:

 > This is automake-wrapper, which will hand off execution
 > to one of the two real versions listed above, depending
 > on the contents of configure.in/configure.ac.  Since the
 > wrapper was called from within a directory in which those
 > files are not found, this generic 'version' message is
 > displayed.

Myself, I built automake-1.4-p6 and installed it so that it is found
in PATH before Cygwin's one, to avoid this kind of problems.

--tml