Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP Image Size Limits

Kevin Myers wrote:

Under Windows I am running into a problem where the GIMP's pixel buffer
seems to hit a 2GB file size limit when my gray scale TIFF image files
excede roughly 400KB in size.  I'm guessing the buffer requires 5 bytes per
pixel (RGB, transparency, ?), even though all of that isn't really needed
for my images.

I need to work with these images absolutely ASAP.  Because all of the
machines involved are running Windoze, I was hoping to stick with that.
However, it's starting to look like that is a hopeless cause given my poor
porting skills and the apparant lack of interest of most gimp developers in
addressing this problem under Windoze (at least in the near term).

So, I'm starting to consider using Linux instead, and have two related
questions:

1. Can anyone out there positively confirm that running the GIMP under a
fairly recent version of Linux would avoid any inherent 2GB pixel buffer
size limit?  I can provide some images for testing if anyone would like to
volunteer...

2. Would anyone out there care to suggest a readily available commercial
Linux distribution that is extremely easy to install, learn, and use for
unsophisticated users with primarily Windblows experience?

Thanks in advance for any help.

s/KAM