Re: [Gimp-developer] List of changes for the future 1.2.4 release

   Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 18:12:21 +0100
   From: =?ISO-8859-1?B?UmFwaGHrbA==?= Quinet <quinet@xxxxxxxxxx>

   With the release of 1.2.4-pre2, we are getting closer to the final
   1.2.4.  Like I did a few months ago when 1.2.3 was released, I
   searched Bugzilla and the various ChangeLog files in order to get a
   list of significant changes between the future 1.2.4 release and the
   previous version.

   Here are the changes that I identified so far.  There are many other
   things mentioned in the ChangeLog, but I think that these are the most
   significant ones.  I am even thinking about deleting the last two or
   three items because the list is already a bit long.

   * The print plug-in is now using libgimpprint-4.2, which is
     distributed as a separate package (bug #80941).  It is more
     stable and more portable than previous versions (bug #87428).  If
     you do not have libgimpprint on your system, you have to download
     it from http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/ and install it before
     building The GIMP, else use --disable-print.

I guess this means that we (Gimp-print) should start figuring out how
to factor this out of our distribution.

On another note, someone's working on a more generalized printing GUI
based on the Print plugin code.  This may not make it into 4.2, but if
it does the result will be that there will be a libgimpprintui, and
the Print plugin will shrink rather dramatically in code volume.  From
an operational standpoint, it would most likely share settings with
any other application that used this library.

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@xxxxxxxxxxxx

--Eric Crampton