[Gimp-developer] Layer groups

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 11:29:12AM -0500, Patrick McFarland wrote:
> Btw, has there been a discussion on how layer grouping will work?
> I want to be able to both group layers in just a group (aka doesnt change
> how rendering works at all) then also be able to group layers together, and
> have the output of that act as a layer (aka, for calculating the "virtual"
> layer, only the layers inside of it are done, no outside layers interact with
> these except through the final "virtual" layer.)

I recently had another idea when someone was talking about MNG export.
It should be possible to create an instance of a layer and use it
somewhere else. This is especially useful for animations - I imagine a
tree of layers. The first level defines the frames. So, the same layer
(say, some background) could be used in every frame and the MNG exporter
could exploit that fact and create nice, small files.

Apart from that, one often needs a copy of a layer to create some
effect. Combined with effect or active layers, one would only need to
alter the source layer and everything else would change by itself.

Bye, Tino.

--
             * LINUX - Where do you want to be tomorrow? *
                  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/linux/tag/