Re: [Gimp-developer] layer groups (was: Film Gimp and GIMP)

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002 19:10:20 +0100, pippin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> * Raphaël Quinet <quinet@xxxxxxxxxx> [021129 18:38]:
> > There has been some discussion about layer grouping, but I do not
> > think that any concrete implementation proposals have ever been agreed
> > upon.  So anyone who could come up with a GUI mock-up is welcome.
> > Code is even more welcome, of course.  ;-)
[...]
> A little while ago I added another little code project to my todo queue, it's
> just a toy project but might end up providing useful ideas for the implementation.
> I've been toying with the idea to create a small program that is built entirely
> of plug-ins and allows you to build graphs of dataflow between inputs and outputs
> of the plug-ins (nodes in the graph). And thus enable the coding of a function that
> only blurs the brightness and not the color of an image to be "coded" visually
> like this:
[... nice ASCII graph snipped ...]
> It'll take a little while until I have the time to start working on it,  this is a much
> more general approach, but if I end up with something viable at least the ideas can be
> used to implement most kinds of layer grouping etc. since they will be graphs with
> special constraints.

Yes, this is a nice idea, although this is different from the feature
that we were talking about.

As a matter of fact, the idea that you present here has already been
discussed on this mailing list.  This is similar to what is done in a
program called "Khoros" and its interface "Cantata".  If you do a
search on your favorite search engine and look for "gimp" and
"khoros", you may find some interesting links.  This idea has been
discussed in January 1997, August 1998 and December 2000.  You will
find a summary of the last proposal by Adam on the following page
(section "4. Pupus Pipeline"):
  http://kt.zork.net/gimp/gd20001231_25.html
It is not easy to find the complete archives of this mailing list
before 2001 (except in my private archives), but I found the following
pages:

August 1998
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gimp-developer/message/4578
(a quote from my January 1997 message):