Re: [Gimp-developer] MNG support. Was: Intolerance, and development.

David,

Instead of spending all this time writing your views of the world,
I am sure that all on this list including you would actually think
the time would be better spend actually implementing mng support for
gimp.

I suggest that you go about it in the following steps:

   1. Extract the png plug-in file and rename in mng.
   2. Change it so that it registers the .mng extension.
   3. Make sure that it compiles and that it is may be used to read png
      files that have been renamed ".mng".
   4. Get and compile the libmng library from http://www.libmng.com/ .
   5. Get some mng example files.
   6. Study the libmng example programs and try to implement the same
      scenario for getting the data into the mng plugin. At first,
      decide about some minimal subset of mng that you will support,
      e.g. one-layer that are not JNG. (This is essentially the same
      thing as png).
   7. After succeeding in reading one-layer non-jng mng images, add
      support for multi-layer and mng.
   8. Release and get the well deserved glory.
   9. Add mng write support.
  10. Release again and get more glory. 8-)

Btw, is there tutorial available for image loader and writer plug-ins?

Regards,
Dov