Re: [Gimp-developer] The Occasional Bug List

Nathan Carl Summers wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, David Neary wrote:
>
> > 78064  Entering large dimensions in Scale Image causes fatal error
> >     Memory issue - some things use lots of memory and crash the
> >     GIMP. Enhancement, marked critical - it's a matter of
> >     pre-calculating how big the "new" image will use, and warning
> >     the user if it goes over some threshold (say 1GB?)
>
> I think it's safe to say that if the size of the image is bigger than the
> size of the tile cache, it's big enough to warn about.

Seems like a reasonable metric - but the default tile cache is 32M,
and most people have upwards of 128M RAM these days. Maybe if we
were to use this metric we should consider upping the default
tile cache to at least 64M? If you're loading images from a
camera with 3 megapixels, 32M is big enough to have 1 image open
with 2 layers and no undo levels. Which seems a little harsh :)

Cheers,
Dave.

--
       David Neary,