Re: Floats (was Re: [Gimp-developer] Dreamworks, etc.)

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 04:34:26PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:
> well, if you could come up with the detailed specs of these sexy new
> graphics cards we could certainly consider to use these features.
> However judging from my experience as a DirectFB developer I'd say
> there's not much chance that the hardware vendors will give away these
> details unless you sign a pile of ugly contracts that effectively
> forbid to use the knowledge in an open source project.

Umm... Both ATI and nVidia document their OpenGL extensions quite well.
You'd definitely implement a system like this using OpenGL (or D3D if you
wanted to do something Windows-only, but most likely you don't :-) ).

Hopefully, there will be a unified fragment shader extension quite soon,
too -- ATM you'll have to write one backend per card. :-(

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/