Re: [Gimp-developer] Temp file stops at 2GB

Hello,

Sven Neumann wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Michael <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
 >

 >>I have compiled the 1.3.8 release after finally getting hold of the
 >>required files (I only have a modem so they were a bit big for me) and
 >>grepped the resulting binaries to check that fopen64 was there. If I
 >>set the image size to 65536 x 65536 the file size indocator says 0 kb,
 >

 > hmm, that's a bug in the user interface. Could you file a bug-report
 > for it, please ?

I'm not actually running Gnome 2, I only have the libraries required to
compile Gimp 1.3. Should I then just be filing the report against gtk+2?

 >>after messing with the sizes a bit more it seems that the indicator
 >>wraps around at 4096 MB. If I then open a file it seems that this
 >>version does things the other way and fills up the memory first and
 >>then attacks the kernel's swapfile so I couldn't check Gimps swap file
 >>because it didn't seem to create one before the kernel killed it. I
 >>must say that I was impressed at the speed at which the Gimp filled up
 >>the memory it was very fast.
 >

 > hmm, we didn't do any significant changes to the way GIMP handles the
 > tile cache so it should actually behave just like GIMP-1.2. The only
 > difference should be that it should now be possible to use a cache of
 > size > 2GB and that the core should be able to deal with swap files
 > larger than 2GB. I say "should" since these changes haven't seen much
 > testing yet.

Yes they do look the same. I have added some g_print() statements in the
code and the config file is being parsed for the temp file location but
the value is being lost somewhere. Can you suggest any good places to
put some g_prints to see what is going on?
Here is some sample output:-

[root@mike bin]# ./gimp-1.3
using MMX: yes
swapfile is: /big/tmp/gimpswap.30852
swap add filename: /big/tmp/gimpswap.30852/n[Invalid UTF-8]
swapfile is still: (¹g@(¹g@/gimpswap.30852

so it is being parsed ok if, you ignore my errors, but there is no error to say why the file is not being created in the suggested location.

 > Salut, Sven

Michael.

p.s. if I turn on conservative memory usage then it does create a few smaller temp files, but still no big one.