Re: [Gimp-developer] Modifying GIMP

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Hai Nguyen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to modify GIMP to add some extra features but it's not
> really something that I can do as plugin, does anyone know of any where
> I can find detailed information on the way gimp actually works, any sort
> of info especially on the actual source code in 'libgimp' and 'app'
> folders.

The Gimp is a huge and complicated thing.  The documentation that comes
with Gimp in the devel-docs directory is about all there is. Libgimp is
fairly well documented, but there isn't much about the core (found in the
app directory.)

If you let us know some more details of what you'd like to do, we can give
you some help on how to do it. Depending on the scope of your
modifications, I would recommend that you make them to version 1.3.5, both
since the code in that version is cleaner and easier to understand and
because the chances of your modifications being accepted into the next
version of gimp are much higher if they are based on a recent version of
1.3.

Rockwalrus