Re: [Gimp-developer] Using Gimp

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 12:55:15PM +0300, Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:

>     This plug-in is stored on a Server and being accessed by other client
>     machines.  I want them to be able to open a window access the server,
>     run the program without getting the dreaded "Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open
>     display" error. Just straight command line editing of an image and
>     outputing it to a format.
>
> This is because Gimp needs an X display to work. Now, there is a way to
> work around this, either just point it to some machine that gives it
> access to the DISPLAY, or use the virtual framebuffer of the linux
> kernel (if the machine runs linux) and run an framebuffer X server on
> it.

Hm. I suppose, Xvfb is the better choice here as there is no need to
actually see anything. It also does not need any graphics hardware.

Citing the man page:
  The  X  community  has found  many  other  novel uses for Xvfb,
  including testing clients against unusual depths and screen
  configurations, doing batch processing with Xvfb as a background
  rendering engine, load testing, as an aid to porting the X server to a
  new  platform,  and providing an unobtrusive way to run applications
  that don't really need an X server but insist on having one anyway.

Bye, Tino.

--
             * LINUX - Where do you want to be tomorrow? *
                  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/linux/tag/