Re: [Gimp-developer] amp photoshop curves

   Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 09:08:41 +0100 (CET)
   From: regis rampnoux <regisr@xxxxxxxxx>

   I am not sure that 16 bits can improve really the printout but I am
   ready to test ;-)

The problem with 8 bits isn't that the number of discrete levels is
too small, but that some of the intervals (in *linear* 8-bit space)
are too great.  This is particularly noticeable in the highlights --
there's a huge difference between 0 and 1/256 coverage, for example.
So what typically happens is that you wind up with multiple input
levels mapped to output level 0, 1, and 2, and you get very visible
steps between levels.

If the transform were done within Gimp-print, in 16-bit space, this
rounding error would be insignificant.

--
Robert Krawitz <rlk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>      http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@xxxxxxxxxxxx