Re: [Gimp-developer] test this howto now

Hi,

Raphael Quinet <quinet@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> The command 'whereis cvs' is not available everywhere, or does not
> always give the expected results.  For example, on my Solaris machine,
> typing "whereis cvs" prints "cvs:" and nothing else (which means that
> the command /usr/ucb/whereis cannot find cvs).  On the other hand, if
> I type "which cvs", then it shows me the full path.  It would be
> better to replace this sentence by:
>    Type "whereis cvs", "type -p cvs" or "which cvs" depending on your shell.

I believe 'which' is more commonly available. However the easiest way
to find out if cvs is properly installed is to type 'cvs'. You'll either
get "cvs: command not found" or usage information from cvs.

> In the "Compiling" section, there is another example using "whereis
> aclocal".  This should also be changed.

this could be changed in a similar way.

Actually one should probably expect the user to have at least a little
experience using command-line tools. Otherwise she'll be lost anyway.

> : Later, when you want to refresh your versions, go into the cvs directory
> : and type cvs up. To refresh just one module, go into the subdirectory for
> : that module and enter cvs up. As simple as that.
>
> Although "cvs up" is easier to type, "cvs update" is probably easier to
> remember for first-time users.  It would be better to mention the full
> name of the command at least once.  For example:
>    [...] and type "cvs update" (or the shorter version "cvs up")

I'd suggest to stay with the full commands. The abbreviated forms are
somewhat confusing. Think of 'cvs co'. No, it doesn't mean 'cvs commit'.

Also, I think the tutorial should list all requirements such as
glib-1.2, gtk+-1.2 and probably also libpng, libjpeg etc.  in one
nicely formatted list before it goes to the Compiling step. It would
be wise to also mention that all these libraries need to be installed
with headers. On most distributions only the libraries are installed
by default and the respective developer packages need to be installed
separately.

Salut, Sven