Re: [Gimp-developer] Gimp 2?

Hi,

Laramie Leavitt <lar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Kelly Martin wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 02:48:33PM -0700, Laramie Leavitt wrote:
> >
> > > Is anyone actively working on GIMP 2?
> >
> > Insofar as there is activity on GIMP 1.4, yes.
> >
> > Kelly
> >

> Is anyone working on it insofar as it relates to GEGL and all that?
> If I understand this correctly, Gimp 2 will use an entirely different
> internal engine.  The plug-ins will likely not work, and numerous
> other changes will render Gimp 2 as an entirely new entity with
> little in common with Gimp, really...
>
> So, why not work on Gimp 1.3 and Gimp 2 in parallel?

it will not be that different. At the moment we are refactoring all the
code around the GIMP-1.0 core to make it more hackable and more functional.
The result shall be called GIMP-1.4. That should give us a nice code-base
that allows us to replace the core functions which something based on
GEGL without the need to change the framework around the core. So, if
anyone wants to hack on GIMP-2 now, she either should help with 1.4 or
work on GEGL, the PUPUS rendering pipeline or other integral parts of the
GIMP-2.0 core.

Salut, Sven