Re: [Gimp-developer] mng

On Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 06:38:32PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:
> > GIMP is an image manipulation program, mng is an animation format.
>
> so what?

He's wrong anyway, MNG is a multi-image format, with the primary target
being replacement of GIF "anim" features because those features were
missing in PNG (otherwise better than GIF in every way except simplicity)

But multi-image also means layers (Wow! A common layered file format,
openly specified and not fudged to meet the preferences of one app
designer!) and just plain image archives e.g. ICO-style multiresolution
icon resources.

Not much software support for all that of course, but then support in
Photoshop for PNG was abysmal when the PNG plug-in appeared in Gimp :)

> Of course a plug-in for 1.2 can be hacked. We won't include it into the
> official distribution because of the feature freeze, but [...]

I did mean to do some work on this, honestly I did :) If someone else has
a burning desire then they should feel free to ask any general questions
of me, MNG is closely related to PNG, and as such technical issues are
often in common between the two.

Nick.