Re: [Gimp-developer] gimptool.c

Hi,

Austin Donnelly <austin@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Monday, 12 Nov 2001, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
>
> > Should I call the file gimptool.c.in, or gimptool-win32.c.in?  I.e.,
> > will automake etc get confused if there are both a gimptool script
> > *and* a program?  Even if automake conditionals decide which one to
> > build?
>
> I don't think we should have two ways of getting gimp configuration
> information: that's asking for trouble.  If the shell script doesn't
> work on windows but your C re-implementation does both Windows and
> Unix then we should use your C code.
>
> Keeping both around is *asking* for a maintenance nightmare, as the
> facilities will diverge overtime, or people will fix bugs in one but
> not the other, etc.

I agree. The problem however seems to be that Tor tries to bring the
stable tree into shape for a 1.2 release on Win32. I very much welcome
this effort but I don't think we should change anything for the
non-Win32 parts in the stable tree of The GIMP.

I also like the code Tor checked in that replaces user_install.bat and
I think we should use it for UNIX user installations also, but the same
argument applies here: doing so in the stable branch bears the risk of
breaking working code.

For the moment it's probably best to keep the two different gimptool
versions in 1.2 and try to find a solution that works for all platforms
in the unstable tree.

Salut, Sven