[Gimp-developer] Retouching pictures...

Hello

I have used the gimp quite a lot to retouch old photographs. I save the
original image and then use the clone tool in an image that has a single
layer.

The other day I was showing the difference old/new and a little light was
turned on:

- If we have only one image with two layers this job might be much easier.

The original image is the background and there is a transparent layer with
the corrections.

This would solve the common problem of having a correction that after all I
dislike, but was made a few operations back, which cannot be undone without
undoing everything in between.

Using the two layers if there is a region where I dislike the correction I
can just erase it and start over.

But there are (at least) two problems:

- when doing detailed cloning from the original image switching layers to
select the origin/destination is a complete mess of <PgUp><Ctrl Left
Click><PgUp><Left Click>...

- The cloning tool gets the image from a layer, but most of the times the
"restorer" is looking at the final result. It will happen quite often that an
unretouched part of the image is used as the source, when in fact the person
that selects the origin is interested in cloning from the currently visible
image.

Thus two questions:

- would it be interesting to have an option in the clone tool that allows to
select which layer is used as source and as destination?

- would it be interesting (possible ?) to have the "currently visible image"
as one of the sources for the cloning tool?

Another question: I think that I read somewhere that there was the intention
of having read-only layers. Is this wishful thinking?

Best regards

Ze Paulo