Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: GIMP Tip of the Day messages

Hi,

Daniel Egger <degger@xxxxxxx> writes:

> If we go for XML (which is definitely a good idea) we should use it
> also for our config files and drop the homebrewn parser. Maybe we can
> get away with simply using the new glib-2.0 functions instead of adding
> an dependency on libxml or similar.

our parser isn't homebrewn and is much better supported by glib than XML
is. s-expressions are in my opinion easier to read and write for humans
than XML syntax which was never designed to be edited by hand. From the
users point of view, would you really prefer a XML format for gimprc over
the existing one? I certainly wouldn't.

The GMarkup parser in glib-2.0 is a simple SAX-like parser interface,
while libxml offers an alternative DOM interface. For simple purposes
we can definitely get away without libxml, more sophisticated XML
handling will certainly require it. I don't have strong feelings against
depending on libxml2 however it it becomes necessary.

Salut, Sven