Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: GIMP Tip of the Day messages

Hi,

"Branko Collin" <collin@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> What is 'the header kludge'? I never got that bit.

I'll try to summarize what has been discussed so far. At the moment,
there are two proposed places to store the original english tips.
Either use a C file or a header that would look something like this:

  const gchar *tips[] =
  {
    N_("This is the first tip."),
    N_("This is the second tip and it has <b>bold</b> text."),
    N_("This is the last tip. Now, you are on your own.")
  };
  gint n_tips = G_N_ELEMENTS (tips);

or make this a simple XML file like for example:

  <?xml version="1.0"?>
  <gimp-tips>
    <tip>
      This is the first tip.
    </tip>
    <tip>
      This is the second tip and it has <b>bold</b> text.
    </tip>
    <tip>
      This is the last tip. Now, you are on your own.
    </tip>
   </gimp-tips>

We could then use existing tools to create po files from these sources
to ease translators work. The XML solution has the advantage that we
could use the same file for other purposes (www.gimp.org) but it requires
us to write a simple parser. I can assure you however that this parser
can be done in less than 10 minutes using GMarkup from glib-2.0 and I
have done it before. I can see at least one more advantages of using an
external file: The tips don't stay in memory all the time. So we should
probably go for it.

If we really want to use the file in other places (web-sites), someone
involved there needs to come up with a proposal for the format.
Otherwise I'd say that the simple format using the Pango Text Attribute
Markup Language directly as outlined above should be good enough. For
your convenience here's the link again:

 http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/pango/pangomarkupformat.html

Salut, Sven