[Gimp-developer] Film grain: "Grey" addition and subtraction modes

Many thanks to all the regulars on #gimp who answered my questions, gave me
advice, and bugged me to write this stuff up.

The GIMP is my friend.  It makes me happy. :-)

Background
----------

I've recently been trying to reproduce really odd film grain to hide image
editing.  This process has three steps:

  1) Extract the old grain.
  2) Make it into a tileable pattern.
  3) Merge the pattern into a new image.

Step (1): To extract the old grain, make a copy of the image, blur it, and
compare it to the original.  The "flat" areas of the image should now
contain some kind of characteristic noise--grains, vertical lines, and so
on.  (The trick here is the comparsion; more details below.)  You may--or
may not--want to desaturate your noise!

Step (2): To make a pattern tileable, use "Make Seamless", the
Resynthesizer & Homogenizer, hand-hacking, or your favorite tricks.

Step (3): To merge the pattern back into the image, create a channel of
solid noise, mask it as needed, and add it to the underlying channel.
Again, the addition is tricky.

Addition & Subtraction