[Gimp-developer] Re: xwd screen shot problems

rower@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (2001-08-25 at 2218.12 -0700):
> Hi. Unless I'm mistaken xwd isn't capable of capturing 24-bit visuals. It
> seems almost useless on modern hardware. Is this an issue that has been
> discussed here before?

OOh, well, then my computer does magic. ;]

> Attempting to capture graphics-intense windows with xwd on x86-based XFree86
> 3.x or 4.x just gives a misleading error message, extra confusing because
> other simpler windows on the same desktop will capture without trouble.

xwd worked here in 3.x and is working with 4.0.3. Can you define
"intense"? Tried with browsers with a anim playing and a OpenGL app to
test. Do you mean video playback windows?

> The ImageMagic import utility works consistently and writes directly to png.
> Is there any thought to switching Gimp screen capture to use import?

IIRC, ImageMagick writes to what you put as name, so if you say
foo.jpg, it writes a jpeg, and if you do not specify, you get a miff.
And import, at least when I tried with 3.x, had a bug that raised
windows even if you do not wanted.

GSR