Re: [Gimp-developer] RFC: support for multi-image files and API change for load/save plug-ins

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Raphael Quinet wrote:

> I think that using the standard "#" for separating the URI from the
> fragment identifier is the best solution for all images that are
> loaded using a full URI.  However, as you mention this is not ideal
> when dealing with files on the local file system because "#" is a
> valid character that can be used in the names of files and
> directories.
>
> So even if it is extremely unlikely, it would be possible to have a
> file named "foo.wad" containing an image called "S/S_SKY1", together
> with a directory named "foo.wad#S" containing a file "S_SKY1".  This
> is not a real problem when loading an image, because the Gimp would
> always try to load the full path first and it would get the file
> "S_SKY1".  If the user wants to get the one inside "foo.wad", it
> would still be possible to load "foo.wad" directly, then select the
> appropriate image using the interface provided by the WAD plug-in.
> Another solution for the user would be to select the file type
> explicitely (WAD file).  The Gimp would then Do The Right Thing.

<lotsa voodoo snipped>

It seems to me that the best thing to do in this case would be to have the
fragments only be accessible by the uri scheme.  If you want to access a
file fragment in your local filesystem, you can do it by using the file://
scheme.  That way we only have to worry about one case, and we don't have
to worry about files with a # in them, since the uri would require them to
be escaped.

We don't have to worry about user friendlyness, because the interactive
plugin should allow you to select an image from the file when it is
loaded, anyway.

Nathn