Re: [Gimp-developer] RFC: support for multi-image files and API change for load/save plug-ins

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 01:54:53PM +0200, Raphael Quinet wrote:
> If we want to avoid 404 errors from the web servers, we could decide
> to use "#" instead of "/" as a separator between the real file name
> and the extra path to the image.  I initially thought about this and
> then rejected the idea later because local files can have a "#" in
> their name, but this should not be a problem if the Gimp always starts
> by trying to open the local file with the full path (if no protocol is
> specified) and then tries a second time without the part that follows
> the crosshatch sign.

That creates an equivalent problem to your original one. If you really
want gimp-devel to believe that you routinely load remote WAD files
from HTTP then I'm going to have to ask that they also believe that users
routinely create files called foo.wad#Q/S_SKY1

<serious>

Further, this problem is actually blocking your original proposal for
users being able to save their Doom textures back into the WAD. With
the wad:// URI scheme and associated interactive browser we can make
this work seamlessly but with your #fragment solution it becomes
harder to make it work at all without second guessing the user.

</serious>

Raph, don't let me stop you if you're sure this is the Right Thing,
but maybe you should consider bolting Doom itself into Gimp, so that
we can just use weapons/ tools to retexture things from inside the
game and see the results instantly? :)

Nick.