Re: [Gimp-developer] errors in the TGA plugin

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 04:41:57PM +0200, Petr Mejzlik wrote:
> Hello,
> I think that I found some mistakes in the code that reads and writes
> RLE-compressed TGA files (in tga.c). Gimp can generate a RLE-compressed
> file containing RLE packets, which go through the end of a scan line
> (that is encode pixels from more that one pixel line), which is
> prohibited by the standard.

Which version of Gimp are you seeing this problem in Petr? I thought this
was fixed long ago.
In any case I'm investigating (in the 1.2 branch) since IIRC I'm the
last person to mess with the TGA code.

> Another problem is in the rle_read() function: variables repeat and direct
> are not correctly initialized on every call of rle_read(), as they are
> static. This is, by a chance (IMO) the reason, why Gimp can read its
> own RLE-compressed files: these two variables keep their values from the

No chance at work, this is deliberate. Gimp is not alone in having
created illegal TGA files in the past, and it seems crazy to refuse to
load them when it's perfectly clear how to do so without rejecting any
valid file.

Nick.