Re: [Gimp-developer] show jpeg preview time

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 11:40:53AM +0200, thus said Sven Neumann:

> IMHO any web designer should have a clue what file sizes are tolerable and
> should probably have a sheet of paper on his desk mapping file sizes to
> download speeds at a bunch of standard bandwidths. We shouldn't clutter the
> dialog with this new feature especially since it will give the impression
> that these numbers are real even though they can only give a rough estimation.
>
> The feature might make sense in a Web Export plug-in which is something I'd
> like to see for next generation GIMP. A Web Export plug-in should give
> side-by-side comparisons of different formats at different compression levels
> and since it will become a complex dialog anyway, the new feature might make
> sense here. The average user is not even interested in putting his picture up
> on a web-server, so we shouldn't put too much web-related stuff into standard
> file plug-ins.

I think it makes sense this way. A "Export to web" plugin would also be
useful in suggesting which format to use for the image, by showing all
alternatives and file sizes side by side. The download size information IS
useful in a way (I would have lost the piece of paper anyway just when I'd
need it :) but I agree this is the right place to put it in.

Other than that, the jpeg saving plugin *could* have the advanced button or
tab to hide the stuff that is useful to you if you are "in the Know"(tm) :)

> For Gimp-1.4, the common functionality of save and load plug-ins should go
> into a special library so all the plug-ins have to do is implement the
> calculation etc. should go into the library so all file plug-ins get a
> common look and feel.

Yes. Also so we can plug a gnome-vfs compile-time option to the library, and
then (after I finish bugging the hackers to write a ssh method for
gnome-vfs) I can just save images directly to my webserver, for example.
That is something very cool I am looking forward to.

Tuomas

--

.--->  tigert@xxxxxxxxxx        .    |\,/|          tigert@xxxxxxxx  <-----.
+---->  www.ximian.com         -  ()-@@  ,           tigert.gimp.org  <----+