Re: [Gimp-developer] defaults for tile cache, swap, etc. (was Re: UI remarks)

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Roel Schroeven wrote:

> --- Raphael Quinet <quinet@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wed, 06 Jun 2001, Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero wrote:
> >  > In some cases, IIRC, /tmp is RAM.
> This issue comes up from time to time, I've seen it on Ask Slashdot too.
> But /tmp in RAM is bad. If you're writing/reading relatively small amounts
> of data to/from /tmp, the data is cached anyway. If /tmp is in RAM, it

Here's my 0.02 Euro (feel free to correct errors).

/tmp in RAM surely refers to Solaris. On Solaris, /tmp is actually
implemented as pages taken from RAM+swap - this is no problem since it is
supposed to be erased on reboot. Unless Solaris is very stupid, there is
actually no duplication between the filesystem and the cache, since the
filesystem is actually in the cache!

/var/tmp is a normal disk-based filesystem.

David Monniaux            http://www.di.ens.fr/~monniaux
Laboratoire d'informatique de l'École Normale Supérieure,
Paris, France