Re: [Gimp-developer] The GIMP Webpage

Folks -

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 02:17:25PM +0200, Christoph Rauch wrote:
> Tom Rathborne schrieb:
> > > So this really could have been a "chicken and egg" problem.
> > Yes, it seemed very "chicken and egg" to me. That's why I just
> > started doing something on my own.  I have already made about half
> > of the decisions in Christoph's excellent list -- but I doubt that
> > most people will agree with all of those decisions.  Maybe someone
> > will find _something_ useful in what I have done.
> Then please share your decisions you have done so far. Describe what
> language do you use, what layout, andsoon. We could then avoid
> making duplicate efforts.
>
> I will then put up a second list with "done-so-fars" and "todos".

Nobody's decided to do anything with my system so don't take any of my
decisions as final! *grin*

> Another thing that comes to my mind is i10n. When designing the
> content-enginge one should keep that in mind. We could have a
> documents in various languages on one page. The language would be
> selected by the browsers preferences.

As Raphael pointed out, Apache does this very nicely. I suspect that
my stuff would have to be hacked on a bit more to be internationalized
properly ... but not a whole lot more.

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 05:13:54PM +0200, Christoph Rauch wrote:
> I have updated my lists at http://home.bn-paf.de/smokey/gimp_org/

Here are the choices that I've made:

> 3. Go through various planning stages and then start working.
>     1. Layout
>         1. How should the site look like (look and feel)
>             1. Appearance
>                 1. Clean and cool
>                 2. Dark and dirty
>                 3. Nice and fluffy
>                 4. other idea...

Pink and cyan pastels with titles that look like silly putty.

However, it's pretty simple to change that and then nuke all the
cached content pages and have a new look for the site.

>             2. In-detail design
>                 1. Mark of links going to off-site pages.
>                 2. Icons
>                 3. Style-sheets
>                 4. lots of other stuff...

Most of this stuff falls into the category of 'content', really.

>         2. Do we need a new logo for the site?
>             1. Something with Wilber?
>             2. Something like the current splash-screen?

Good idea.

>         3. How do we structure the site?
>             1. New directory layout?
>             2. Navigation
>             3. Useability
>             4. Accessability
>             5. (insert your favourite buzzword here :-))

I like my navigation layout - expanding tree with bold indicating
current path and an arrow indicating the current page. It looks ok
on Lynx and w3m and a bunch of graphical browsers.

>     2. Software
>         1. What do we want to do?
>             1. Post News, Articles, ChangeLogs

We can grab the news in RDF format from Xach's site, but yes, in
general, there should be a system to help us manage articles.

>             2. Show The GIMPto new users
>             3. Provide the users with:
>                 1. Tutorials
>                 2. Plugins
>                 3. Scripts, Perls, and other FUs
>                 4. Source Code / Binaries
>                 5. Palettes / Textures / and so on

Yes, there should be a resource management system.

>             4. Be able to change parts of the site without having to
>                learn all the website-code.

Got that.

>         2. What do we NOT want to do?
>             1. Become a "programmer-page" with no look, but lots of
>                 functions.
>             2. Become a fscking portal which does everything except
>                 cooking good coffee.

I do have a Yahoo-style link database, which I think is worth having,
but I agree that it shouldn't be a portal.

>             3. Leave the web-site as it is today.
>         3. How do we want it to be done?
>             1. Stick with current system
>                 1. Reevaluate

It's not that bad, but not very much fun to look at.

>             2. Install a new Apache with certain modules
>                 1. Use a CMS (Content Management System... buzzbuzz! ;-))
>                     1. Which one?

CVS. :)

>                 2. Code it for ourself
>                     1. Active HTML
>                         1. Perl (mod_perl)

I'm using mod_perl along with my own template and page
generation/caching system.

>                         2. Python
>                         3. PHP
>                         4. Use templates! (Seperate code and HTML)

Yes! My stuff keeps the Perl in .pm files where it belongs.
Much of it is documented in POD too!

>                     2. Static HTML
>                         1. WML Website Meta Language
>                             1. Would allow us mirroring
>                         2. Use templates!
>                     3. Use a mix of both?
>                         1. WML&Perl, WML&Python, WML&PHP???
>                             1. Would allow us mirroring of static
>                                pages with links to main site for the
>                                active ones
>                         2. Use ... you know what.
>                     4. Databases
>                         1. MySQL
>                         2. PostgreSQL

I'm using PostgreSQL but that's just because that's what I developed
it with. :)

>                         3. No database at all?
>         4. How do we NOT want it to be done?
>             1. Use Win2k/IIS with ASP and M$ SQL ;-))
>     3. Content
>         1. The new pages should be tested on some place like
>            http://newstuff.gimp.org/
>         2. Check Layout in various browsers
>             1. Important ones:
>                 1. Mozilla
>                 2. Lynx

Don't forget w3m and Links for text mode and Konqueror and Opera for
graphical.

>             2. No so important ones:
>                 1. Netscape
>                 2. IE
>             3. But then... thats my opinion. ;-))
>         3. Migrate old contents over to new site.
>             1. Be sure that they fit in new page structure
>             2. Check link integrity to off-site pages

Off-site links should be checked regularly and automatically.

>         4. Insert new contents
>             1. Here a CMS (be it selfcoded or used) would be nice to
>                work with.
>             2. Integrate with plugin-registry?
>             3. Integrate with tutorial-pages?
>             4. Integrate with script-fu-pages?
>             5. Integrate with our ftp site?
>             6. something else?

Yes, it would be easy to write modules to talk to any of those
systems.

>         5. Recruit some editors
>             1. Let the site always be up to date.
>             2. Let the site sound highly official! :-)

Good idea.

>         6. Swap newstuff with oldstuff, and oldstuff with /dev/null
>            or museum .
> 4. Lay back and rest. :-))

I can do that too.

Cheers,

Tom

--
   Tom Rathborne     tomr@xxxxxxxxxxxx     http://www.aceldama.com/~tomr/   |
 I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my  | H