Re: [Gimp-developer] The GIMP Webpage

Hi,

I suggest putting the GIMP web site in CVS along the source code.
We do this with our company web site and it has the usual benefits:
versioning, locking, all privileged people can do updates.

Why do I suggest it?  Because in my opinion the outdated and missing
information is the biggest problem of the website. If all people with
commit privileges could add/make changes the moment they see a need,
or if more than one or two people could maintain the web site
together that will be helpful.

To keep the design clean and the authors away from the complicated
table structures yadda yadda we have written a very simple perl
script that takes a handful of templates and renders them into the
homepage by recursively walking through directories. So you only
change templates, not web pages. All the HTML you have to know
as an author is B, P, H? and A tags. It's a simple approach to
have a sane compromise between plain nothing and a complete content
management system. It works well. We have a CVS notify trigger
that re-renders the page after each commit.

Finally, a side note: bringing the home page of Gimp up to date
is a herculean task. Maintaing it, too. Maybe it's a good idea to
break it down into parts (content-wise) and give them to several people
or do it one after another. Maybe CVS could help with that.

Should you alreadbe be using CVS - mea culpa. I'm Gimp-interested, not
Gimp-focused. I'm not aware of all the projects details.

Meow,
  Tabalon

--
Andreas Jaekel, CableCats GmbH, Flottenstr. 28-42, 13407 Berlin
http://www.cablecats.de/  Tel.: 030 - 916 11 77 3