[Gimp-developer] plug-in distribution choices (was: Re: [PLUGIN] Gallery Maker full reviewed)

On 20 May 2001, at 1:54, Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero wrote:
> collin@xxxxxxxxx (2001-05-20 at 0133.49 +0200):

> > > Regarding the question to include it with core Gimp: As already
> > > discussed here several times, the plan is to distribute less
> > > plug-ins with the Gimp core package instead of adding new ones.

> > Have you got a link to some of these discussions? I could not find
> > them in the archive. The only thing I could find was a mention of a
> > plug-in page at Source Forge:
>
> People discuss things in many ways, not just mail lists. Things like
> real meets, IRC and private mail are nice examples, and Gimp staff is
> not different. They had a meet past year IIRC, you can read them talk
> in the #gimp channel about ideas and you can mail them privately if
> needed.
>
> You can use those methods or wait until somebody writes a note to the
> list or in a webpage. You can also use those methods, and then write
> the note yourself. ;P

This is all very nice for a future collection of links, but it does
not help now. :-)

Am I to understand that there is no recorded instance of this
discussion? Well, let's start now, then, so that next time we can
point to the mailing list archives.

First of all a definition of the problem area: what are considered
plug-ins? Everything that goes into the directory 'plug-ins'?
Anything else?

When talking about scripts earliers, I noticed that there is no clear
way of distinguishing which scripts belong in the core distribution
and which don't. I suggest we tackle this problem (first?).

My suggestion is that the following plug-ins belong to the core
distribution:

- those that perform a task that the GIMP should have provided for
itself or will provide for in the future;

- those that will help other plug-in authors better understand how to
write plug-ins;

- those that will make the GIMP look good when compared to other
raster image editors; and

- those that perform a task the best in its field.

Can such a distinction be made?

--
branko collin
collin@xxxxxxxxx