Re: some special effects

A good place to start is the Writing a GIMP Plug-In documentation:
  http://gimp-plug-ins.sourceforge.net/doc/Writing/

Once you get the basic idea how plug-ins work and come up with an
algorithm you wish to implement, it helps to take the source code from a
simple plug-in, i.e. blur, and replace the algorithm and plug-in
information with your own.

- David